Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2010

How can I copy and paste text on Android phone

Many times when I read news article using Android phone browser, I want to do a search on some text in the article. So how can I copy text in the browser and paste it in the search box? Here is a method.

For copying text when you browse web pages, push the menu button on the bottom of the phone, Select More menu item, then select Select Text menu item (Pay attention that the menu item is not called Copy, so do not look for Copy menu item), now you can use your finger select the text you want to copy. The text is copied to the clipboard. I find it is hard to select the exact text you want to select. Many times, I over-select text.

For pasting text in the search box to do Google search, you touch and hold the search box on the screen for a while, a context menu jumps up. You select Paste menu item, the text will show up in the text box. Then you can do a Google search.

This method has an asymmetry. I copy text using the hardware menu button on the bottom of Android phone display; I paste text using the context menu by touching and holding the text box on the screen. So it will take time for people to figure out this method. I hope there is a simpler way to copy and paste.

No comments: