Search This Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2010

What is Nexus One memory or storage?

A friend complained to me about the limitation of how many applications can be stored on Nexus One because of limited storage. I am a little surprised about it. I thought Nexus One is a pretty powerful gadget with 1G CPU, 1G memory, and 4G SD card. So I did some studies about it. Here is the study result.

Nexus One has 512M RAM, 512M flash memory (a.k.a, internal phone storage), and 4G default microSD card. SD card can be upgraded to up to 32G.

You can find how much storage available using the following action sequence.

Home Screen->Menu->SD card & phone storage

You can see "Internal phone storage" (164MB for me) and "SD card" (3.57GB for me). Although I installed less than 10 apps so far, the internal phone storage has only 164MB left. Even with the brand new Nexus One phone, only 190MB out of 500M flash memory is available for app installation.

Currently Android app installation can only be put on internal flash memory because of security or privacy reasons; but the data used by app can be put on SD card. Also it was announced that soon app installation can be stored on the SD card.

So it is true that there is some storage limitation. But the issue will hopefully be solved soon.

No comments: