Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

from semi-smart phone to smart phone -- my two-year experience with AT&T

My current cellphone is an LG Vu from AT&T. I bought it at year 2008, just before the first iphone was shipped. I am quite happy with this phone -- it has all necessary functions I need (bluetooth, internet browsing, big screen, friendly user interface, etc). But after two years, the battery deteriorates a lot and I have to charge it almost every two days. Last week I decided that it was time to get a new phone, so I ordered a SonyEricsson Xperia X10. This is a very powerful Android phone.

A lot of things happened in the last two years, especially in the IT industry. From LG Vu phone to Xperia Android phone, I clearly see the changes. Two of them are especially interesting:

1. My old LG phone has an application called “AT&T Mall”. You can browse and buy music, pictures, games and applications from AT&T through it. Sounds familiar? It is very similar with Apple’s App Store and Google’s Android market. But it did not get success as big as those two. In my new Xperia Android phone, this “AT&T Mall” is gone and now it is Android market.

2. My old LG phone has an application called “MySpace Mobile”, which allows you to access your MySpace account easily. Remember MySpace? Now everybody is talking about Facebook. Accordingly, I can not find MySpace application in our Xperia X10 now (of course, you should be able to install a MySpace application through Android market). Instead, Xperia has a Facebook application supporting your addiction to Facebook.

What do those tell us? A good idea does not necessarily lead to good business, and the roaring wave of internet business is so unpredictable.

I’ll post a review on my Xperia phone when I get more experience with it. So, stay tuned :-)

No comments: